Monday, October 26, 2009

Feeling better

Yah, sorry I went a little crazy yesterday. I have no idea why i was so frazzled, i must have a hormonal imbalance of some sort. I'm feeling a lot better today.

These are the words I never wanted to say, but I think I have to come clean for the sake of my sanity. Some days I think I have an eating disorder. I battled one a few years back, but it was not for an extensive period of time, it took me about a month to snap out of it and gain all the weight back plus some.

I've just been so encouraged with all the weight I am rapidly losing. In the first few months I plateaued at a weight loss of five pounds. Then suddenly it's not even month three and I'm 4 pounds shy of my goal. I think the abrupt success made me want to kick it in high gear, lose even more, even faster, because I now know what I am capable of. If that required me to skip supper, cry because I ate over 700 calories in a day, then those were situations I would just have to endure.

I remember seeing a quote, it said

"Don't wait until you're thin to start living."

I think that is my problem. I've started this journey seeking happiness, not considering that it is okay to have it along the way. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT anorexic, I just think sometimes how I go about my diet has disordered patterns. I passed up supper for a week in place of a single piece of fruit and peanut butter. I found myself having no energy throughout the day and my period was going bonkers. Every time I stood up everything would go black briefly, and I was always cold.

No more. I want this to be my new life. This is a lifestyle I have to adapt to. That means finding a balance. I'm never going to stick to it if everyday I feel like a tired, weak piece of crap who is always thinking about food but never eating it. The last thing in the entire world that I want is to be one of those people who do so well for a short period of time, and then go nuts and gain all the weight back and then some. it is literally my worst nightmare, to get to a point where I look back and wish I had the same will power. I need to get this straight, or else I'll end up depressed, or fat, or both.

I decided I'm going to stop counting calories. Obviously I'm going to read the nutrition labels and junk but I'm not going to dive for caloriecounter.com if I consume one grape. This may not be wise in others opinions but for me I find if I know how many calories are in something, I am less likely to eat it, even if that something is a banana. Coutning caloriesis too obsessive for my new lifestyle and is not a habit I would likely be able to carry through, so that is nixed.

I'm still going to keep a food log however. I'm also not going to let this weight loss journey consume me. Obviously it is very, very important and something I am going to try my very, very hardest to stick through, but I have other things in my life. I decided whenever this majorly gets in the ways of my school work, family and firends, I'm going to have to re-prioritize.

That felt really good to get out. I'm going to go do some cardio now, here's my food log.

Breakfast
1 piece flax seed whole wheat bread
1 tbsp peanut butter
2 slices red pepper

Lunch
Salad with
leafy greens
red pepper slices
salmon
balsamic vinegar

Snack
6 almonds
8 berries (raspberries, blackberries)

Supper
Korean soy bean soup with
Pumpkin
Shrimp
Mussels
White rice
Tofu

1 comment:

  1. yayy i'm so happy for you. I have to say I was getting kind of worried when you were eating like a piece of fruit for a few meals out of the day. if you're tired and have no energy and especially if your period is acting crazy, that means you're not getting all the nutrition you need. i know you're a smart girl, but be careful, because hormones are a difficult thing to fix once they're fucked up, especially when you're a teenager and all of your hormones haven't balanced out yet. Trust me, you don't want to end up with PCOS like me. it is a total nightmare.

    I am so glad you posted this, especially the quote, because i find myself doing that a lot. I actually am refusing to go to art school for fashion design until next fall, because i don't want to go right now when i'm fat. I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it. It's hard to admit to myself, but you're right- we have to enjoy the ride! but being healthy is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete