Monday, October 12, 2009

Gobble

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Canadians. Yes, it is rather ironic that I start documenting my weight-loss endeavors the day after a 3,000 calorie turkey binge fest. It is also quite wise. I needed something to keep me on track. There was no way in hell I was going to let a 400 calorie pumpkin pie slice and two sinfully delicious chocolate chip cookies throw me off my game. I've worked way too hard. I wish I would have thought of this blogging business earlier. I am currently a little over two months into my six month weight-loss journey, but it's better late then never, yes?

Enough rambling, let me tell you a little about myself. My name is Minnie. I'm sixteen and I've had this ongoing insecurity about my body. Since the dawn of my existence I have always been comparing myself to others. In Gr. 2, I would watch the popular and thin girls do fairy like back flips and other acrobatic stunts in gym class. People would ogle in amazement, and I would wallow in jealousy. In Gr. 5 I would be panting like a wart hog, in 109th place during an annual, not to mention cruel, 1 km run, while the thins and populars would skip across the finish line in respectable 3rds and 5ths. In Gr. 8, when I would muster enough courage to join a soccer team that couldn't afford any cuts because the population of the school was about as abundant as the dodo bird, I would be banished to defence, which everyone knows was a polite way of saying "stay in that corner by the goal post and out of the way." Once again I would miserably watch the popular twigs execute perfectly angled kicks that would send the ball soaring into the opponents net. I would watch as everyone cheered, and I, the all-mighty defensive, would shuffle over, hoping to join in on the celebration.

I'm now in Gr. 11, and I have blamed all of these blows to my self-esteem due to my awkward, clumsy and totally nonathletic nature. Once I entered high school, I began to figure out my place. I eventually gave up trying in any way shape or form. This attitude became apparent to me the day I came home from the first volleyball tryout in Gr. 9. The second tryout was the following morning, and I convinced myself that since I more then likely was not going to make the team anyway, I would just not go to the second tryout.

I lived in this self doubt and damaged confidence for well over a year. I would not put effort into anything because I did not believe in myself, and everyone eventually stopped believing in me too. My name and any sport in the same sentence would bring on a sea of laughter. To my friends I was the butt of every joke. "Imagine Minnie playing basketball." "Minnie, I'm surprised you walked all the way to the bus stop today." "Yeah, the day Minnie plays sports!" Ha ha ha ha ha.

Since I was never overweight or "fat", these jokes were all in good fun and seemed harmless. I had to live everyday convincing people yes, I actually did take four years of figure skating, and gathering enough confidence to go to my next badminton practice. As a method of self-defense, I learned to laugh at myself. I took the jokes with a smile and often brought on many myself. I found that if I was my biggest critic, people would leave me alone.

I eventually found myself in a midlife rut, and I was only in Gr. 10. I stopped going to badminton practice at all, and dropped gym. I was in no extra curricular sports so my activity level was non-existent. I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Food made me happy, and I was a very, very sad girl. I would do anything to fit in. I would get all the brand name clothes. I would go to all the parties. I would listen to the music, I would hang with the crowd. I have always been popular to some degree, but soon I transformed into someone I could barely recognize.

It took me until this summer, the summer of 2009, to realize how lost I was. I was away from school, away from all the negative influences and pressures. I realized simple things, such as walking up the hill in my front yard, or helping my mom unload groceries just plain exhausted me. I was constantly bloated and gassy because of all the junk food I was eating. I was so insecure in a bikini, and I would be horrified when I would go on facebook and I would be tagged in all my double chinned, thunder thighed glory.

July 30, 2009. I picked up the newest issue of SHAPE magazine. Jada Pinkett Smith graced the cover. She sported a neon yellow bikini, her perfectly sculpted chocolate arms reminding me of everything I was not. It was time for a change, and I'll be damned if I didn't follow through.

So here I am, 15 pounds lighter, 15 more to go.

Some things you might want to know
-I'm going to try to write everyday
-I'm going to include everything I eat, from meals, drinks and snacks, on every post at the bottom
-I have weigh ins about every 2 weeks or so, and this will be recorded
-Expect progress pictures
-My identity will be kept a secret, personal issues
-Email me! minnie2skinny@hotmail.com
-Suggestions, opinions and tips would be very appreciated

Height: 5'7
Starting Weight: 150 lbs
Current Weight: 135 lbs
Goal Weight: 120 lbs
Pounds Lost: 15 lbs
Pounds To Go: 15 lbs

Breakfast
Pineapple
Piece of white bread w/ spinach dip :(
Green tea
Water

Lunch
Fruit salad with:
-Pineapple
-1 banana
Green tea
Water

Snack
Apple

Supper
Salad with:
Leafy greens
Baby carrots
Celery

Topped with:
Vinaigrette
Salmon

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty young too (19), and trying to lose weight. Reading this almost made me cry because everything you said I recognized with! I played a lot of sports, but I was always the chubby one.
    I'm glad you're taking control of your weight earlier in life than i did. Good luck with everything!! Let's keep in touch
    bluenotes
    todieortodiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete